Thursday, January 8, 2009

FTS - 1/8/08



I know I am incredibly late with today's posting, so just a few notes...



(Photo credit: AP)

I've seen a few headlines that say Mats Sundin was quiet in his debut with the Canucks. Wow. I can't believe it. A guy that hasn't played a game since last April, playing on the ice with players who are in mid-season form, was quiet and didn't get a lot of ice time in his debut? Shocker. C'mon people, it's going to take him a few games to get back in to the swing of things. He'll be ready to rock after the All-Star break. I watched most of this game and Mats came back to a chippy affair with the Oilers. That was probably the best thing for him because it gets his mind in mid-season form. I love the Wellwood-Sundin-Raymond line and I think it will click quicker than people think. I'd love to see Mats on the PP with fellow countrymen Henrik & Daniel Sedin.

The Rangers lost to the Canadiens 6-3 last night. Rangers GM Glen Sather NEEDS to do something, and soon. I watch the Blueshirts in person or on television for just about every game, and they are dealing with the same problems now that started around Thanksgiving. Uninspired play, a crappy power play, taking periods off - these are all problems that can be resolved with one solution. TRADE FOR JAY BOUWMEESTER! He'd help the power play, give the Rangers more brut on the blueline, and any time a big trade is made, the rest of the team wakes up. Bouwmeester is only 25. If you lock him up, you're looking at a rearguard corps of Jay-Bo, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michal Rozsival, Wade Redden and Paul Mara. You might have to give up a young guy like C Brandon Dubinsky to do it, but a 25 year old-perennial All-Star defenseman is much harder to find than a gritty center that can score.

I will try and have this returned to normal tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment